PENNSYLVANIA SOUTHEAST CONFERENCE
OF THE UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
St. John's
United Church of Christ

11 South Price Street, Pottstown, PA  19464
"A welcoming, caring and friendly faith community with a Mission, Message and Savior for all"
EXPLORE


Church History


The history of St. Johnís Church dates back to 1906, when a lot on the southeast corner of High and Price Streets was purchased and given to Trinity Reformed Church, Pottstown, PA by Rev. L. Kryder Evans, Edward Fretz, Harvey Brandt, George Malsberger and Daniel L. Evans, the Pastor and some members of Trinity, for the purpose of erecting a church. On May 6, 1917 in the house at 1040 High Street, a Sunday School was organized with 50 persons enrolled as members. St. Johnís first pastor, Rev. Paul I. Kuntz, was installed on November 5, 1919. On January 25, 1920 a congregation was organized with 41 charter members. In October 1928, Pastor Mehrling resigned, succeeded the following May by Rev. George A. Creitz, who served until April 1931. Rev. Paul E. Schmoyer was issued a call the following January, and became the full time pastor in May 1932. Rev. Schmoyer served for 6 years to be succeeded by Rev. Gilbert Bartholomew in October 1938. On October 19, 1946, Rev. Dr. Paul C. Scheirer became pastor of our church. Dr. Scheirer served St. Johnís until January 1968 when he retired from the active ministry and was awarded the title of Pastor Emeritus. In May 1967, the 50th Anniversary of the Sunday School was observed. On July 9, 1967, the congregation voted to become a one church charge, severing ties with St. Paulís, Stowe, effective January 1968. On September 16, 1968, Rev. Russell R.G. Burger became pastor at St. Johnís resigning in February 1970. In July of that same year, Rev. Dr. Max E. Nuscher, his wife Jean and their children, Karen, Mark and Martin came to pastor at St. Johnís. A sad event in the life of St. Johnís occurred on May 12, 1986 when Dr. Nuscher died. Later that summer, Rev. Armand Weller was appointed as Interim Pastor. On April 5, 1987, Rev. Bradley Smith began his ministry at St. Johnís. In December 1989, Rev. Calvin Pue became pastor. On January 15, 1994 Rev. Pue retired due to ill health. His recognition dinner was held on October 23rd. We celebrated the 75th Anniversary of the Sunday School. Rev. Wayne Martin was appointed Interim Pastor. On September 1, 1996, Rev. Tom Carver and Rev. Jan Rose, a husband/wife team became the Interim Pastors at St. Johnís, serving until August 30, 1998. The Rev. Steven Ohnsman began as Interim Pastor on September 1, 1998. The Rev. Judy Miller followed ending her interim ministry upon the election of a new pastor. The Rev. Karen Nuscher Creasy began her pastorate here on February 13, 2000.

St. John's continues to serve the community by housing the homeless, contributing faithfully to the Cluster, helping with the "Backpack program" in the elementary schools of the Pottstown School District, giving Christmas presents to children at Rupert Elementary School, walking in the Crop Walk, supporting a child in Israel, and much more. We have a "Book Club" which meets about every 2 months after reading a pre-selected book and then discuss it. Also Bible Study is held almost every month. There are activites for everyone at St. John's. We are actively seeking people to join our membership who want to make a difference and are not afraid to work in the service of God to help others. If interested, contact the Rev. Karen Nuscher-Creasy via the church's e-mail address.
Payday loans are the best here!
Payday loans are the best here!
Payday loans are the best here!
Payday loans are the best here!

Contact Info                 Email Us                 Home Page                 Conference Website                 UCC Website
WEBSITE   POWERED   BY   LIGHTJOURNEY   COMMUNICATIONS